Autumn Apple & Squash Soup
The perfect combination of sweet & savoury and oh-so velvety smooth, it’s hard to believe this is a dairy-free recipe!
Total prep & cook time, 1 hour
Here’s what you need:
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
2 apples (lobo, golden delicious, paulared, etc)
1 delicata squash
Salt & pepper
1. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and reserve them for later.
2. Place the squash face down on a baking sheet along with the onion and garlic (peel still on) and drizzle with a tbs of EVOO. Roast at 375 F until the squash is tender (roughly 25 min), and let rest underneath a sheet of aluminum paper for 10 min.
3. Clean off the seeds, removing any squashed fibre. Lay them out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cumin powder, salt & pepper and a drizzle of EVOO. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min or until golden brown. Let cool and reserve for later. (FYI, these make a great salad topper!)
4. Now peel & chop the apples and the cooked onion then transfer both into a hot soup pot with a bit of EVOO and let cook on medium heat until the apples are softened.
5. Scoop out the squash, peel the roasted garlic and add both plus 4 cups of cold water to the pot. Simmer for 10 min and then take off the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
6. Transfer to a blender and start by pulsing then gradually blending on high.
TIP: leave the lid open slightly to let out the steam. You can use a dish towel over the lid to catch any soup that might spray out.
Serve immediately with a sprinkle of roasted squash seeds or store in a container in the fridge up to 5 days.