Flake Salt Cookies
I've been making these cookies for decades but its only when I accidentally droped one in some flake salt that I really fell in love with dark chocolate!
Makes 36 cookies
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 ts pure vanilla extract
1 cup cocoa powder
1 2/3 cups flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add one egg at a time, mixing really well between each one and then add the vanilla and let mix on high for 3-4 min.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl whisk or sift the cocoa powder & flour together. Stop the mixer, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix on low until just incorporated. Repeat until everything is combined, do not over mix!
4. Add the chocolate chips, scrape down the edges and cover with food wrap. Let rest in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
5. Pre-heat oven to 375 F
6. Remove from the fridge and scoop out small balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet (no more than 8 per sheet) and sprinkle each cookie with a bit flake salt.
6. Bake for 4-6 min until the edges are crispy but the tops are still wet. Do not over bake!
7. Let cook on the the baking sheet before transferring to an airtight container. in theory these cookies should sat fresh for 3-4 days but i’ve never been able to resist that long :)
TIP: Instead of baking the cookie dough balls, stick the sheet in the freezer for 30 min, then store the frozen dough in an airtight container until you are ready to bake them. You'll be able to bake a few to satisfy that chocolate craving… without having to make a whole batch! Genius, right?!?! :)