Twisted Brioche Bread
Is there a better way to start your day then with freshly baked bread? Just a touch of sweetness, real vanilla bean and a dash of cinnamon mixed with oatmeal, rye & whole wheat for the win!
Makes one 9x9 or two 4x8 loaves.
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 ts. bread yeast
3 ts cane, maple or white sugar
2 ts premium olive oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole or nut milk
1 cup oatmeal flour
1/2 cup rye flour
2 ts melted butter
a pinch of flake salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup cane, maple or white sugar
1 vanilla pod (beans scraped)
1 ts. ground cinnamon
1. In a mixing bowl, start by combining the warm water, sugar & yeast and let activate for about 20 minutes.
2. Once the yeast has become frothy, add the EVOO and gradually add the flours, milk, butter & salt in the order listed. The dough should form a ball while mixing, but if its too sticky add small amounts of flour until the desired consistency.
3. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
4.Deflate the dough, cover the bowl with food wrap and store in the fridge over night.
5. The next morning, turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and press or roll it into a rectangle, flouring the surface and dough as needed to keep it from sticking. The exact size of the rectangle is not critical, try to achieve a 1/4 in thick 10 x 15 in rectangle.
6. Melt the butter and brush on the entire top surface.
7. Mix the sugar, vanilla beans & cinnamon in a small bowl and the sprinkle over the buttered surface. I like to go at it un evenly to create sweet spots but feel free to spread evenly.
8. Roll the long side inwards, creating a 15 in long roll.
9. Cut in half to create 2 loaves.
10. Butter your ceramic baking dish(es).
11. Length wise slice into you rolls and twist the dough to expose the layers. You can either place each twisted roll in its own dish or braid them together and use a larger dish to create one loaf.
12. Let rise 20 min, covered with a damp cloth.
13. Bake at 400 F for 35-45 min, covering with foil the last 10 minutes.
14. Let cool, turn over on a cutting board and slice.